Apple Pie with Cream Cheese
This is an absolute must-try!
Not only it looks delicious, but according to most recent testers, it was a definite add-on to their dessert menu.
Thank you for those who contributed to this recipe post.
Photo credits: Jo Zimny,
Recipe credit: Diana Rattray
For the pastry:
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter 6 ounces, room temperature
- 6 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 11 ounces, plus more for rolling
- 6 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 8 medium apples baking variety
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tbsp butter cut in small pieces
For the glaze:
- 1 egg yolk only
- 1 tbsp milk
- sugar optional
How to make it:
1. For the pastry, using an electric mixer, beat the 12 tablespoons of butter and the cream cheese until creamy.
2. Add the cream and beat until smooth.
3. Add the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix on low speed just until the dough holds together.
4. Turn out onto a generously floured surface. Gather into a ball, knead a few times, and divide into two equal pieces.
5. Shape into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
1. Meanwhile, prepare the apples. Peel, core, and slice the apples into thin wedges.
2. Combine the slices in a large bowl with the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of flour, cornstarch, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of salt.
3. Toss to combine the ingredients.
4. On a well-floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out one disk to a 12-inch circle.
5. Transfer to the pie pan and press in the bottom and up the sides. Trim edge.
6. Fill the pastry-lined pie pan with the apple mixture.
7. Preheat the oven to 375 F;.
8. Take the second disk out of the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin.
9. Transfer to the filled pie pan. Fold and crimp the edge as desired.
10. With a sharp paring knife cut several slits in the top of the pie.
11. Combine the egg yolk and milk or cream.
12. Brush the top of the pie lightly and sprinkle with a little bit of granulated sugar or cinnamon sugar blend.
13. Place the pie in the oven on a large sheet of foil.
14. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the apple filling is tender and the pastry is golden brown.
15. If the crust edge is getting too brown before the apples are tender, gather the foil up and over the edge all around the pie or make a foil ring about 12 inches in diameter and 2 inches in width.*
*Put the foil ring on the pie before baking and take it off before the end of baking, or put it on after the crust is well browned.